[DONE] Error "The maximum number of references was exceeded", when referencing multiple fields from related items

In calculation fields, there seems to be a limit to how many fields i can reference from a related app. is this by design? i just want to make sure before i look for workarounds (currently i am just simply copying my calcs from Podio with the plan of optimizing them later)
Thanks!

@shir yes, we currently limit the number of field references per calculation field by design. The limit is set to 20 references at the moment. I cannot remove the limit entirely but will increase it significantly. (We need to enforce some limit to ensure adequate calculation speed and to avoid running into performance problems)

I will notify you here once the change is live, so you can check whether your script saves again!

2 Likes

@shir the changes are live, you should now be able to save scripts that have more than 20 references. In case you still have issues saving the script just reach out to us again!

2 Likes

It seems to be working now. Thanks!

2 Likes

What is the new limit? Is there somewhere I can review all of the sites limitations?

1 Like

Hi @RichardHedger,

first of all - welcome to the Tape community! :partying_face: Happy to have you here.

Thanks for bringing this up. Another user has also asked for that:

Feel free to upvote there as well.

@Leo and @Ben are curating such a list at the moment. It is expected to be published within the next days.

Thanks for your support and patience! :pray:

Cheers
Tim

2 Likes

Hi @shir and @richardhedger,

we have now added the help center article Limits on apps, fields, and automations with the current limitations. Many listed points are currently not enforced but they are recommendations for high speed and good performance.

If one of the listed limits is a problem for your use cases, please let us know at any time and we can check if we can increase the limit.

Cheers
Leo

1 Like

We have the current setup in Podio, and wondering what is the best workaround for it in Tape.

We have contacts and each contact can have dependents. there can be up to 13 dependents and each dependent has 7 fields that we would like to display in a table.

since most of the time there will be just 3 or 4 dependents we didn’t set it in a way that each dependent is a separate item since its easier to edit all of the dependents in one place

when I setup the table, i do need to reference all the fields since we do need to see the details of all the dependents in a central location. that comes to a total of fields referenced 7 * 13 = 91.

one option i was thinking of is creating a calculation field that will hold dependents 7-13 and if (dependents > 6) append that field to the original table.

is that something that would make sense or is there a better way?

@shir yeah, this is a valid option! The usual solution for calculation fields that exceed the limit of field references is to split the main calculation field up into multiple calculation fields, and then reference those “outsourced” calculation fields in one of them. Did your proposed solution work out?

1 Like

For now my solution is to create calc fields that store data from the various fields in json format. that also saves me from retyping (or copy paste) the variables to each new calc-field.

Thanks!

2 Likes