Add Record ID to Flows Called by Other Automations

When a flow is called by another automation (a manual flow) the automation that triggered that flow will have the record ID but then if that manual flow fails it’s hard to debug it if that flow doesn’t have the record ID.
Is the recommended best practice to console.info(record ID) at the top of each manual flow currently?

1 Like

Hi @Martin_E, this is not something I have ever done however it is a good idea and I will see how it works for me, thanks. I normally click the called-by icon and follow back until I find the record:

Your suggestion would be quicker and neater. Just in case people are unsure what you are suggesting the following screenshot shows what I understand:

I think we are a little lacking in ‘best practice’ information for Tape, a lot of what people do at the start is probably driven by what they did in Podio and I am not convinced it makes ‘best practice’ when transferred.

Another thing your suggested method reminds me of is that I have been wishing for the ability to copy automation blocks from one ‘flow’ to another.

4 Likes

Just as an extension, if you want to create a link to that record, its build up like this

https://tapeapp.com/ORGANIZATION/record/RECORDID

@Jason - there seems to be a problem with collected records - seems to be no way to get the “record_id” of a collected record. It allows to select:

• collected_APP_app_record_id … but this is only the unique ID inside the App.

The current_record_id (as available for direct automation of a selected - but not for collected - record) is unique within the organization. Without that I can’t create the direct URL. If anyone confirms that behavior, I’ll create an entry in Bugs & Issues.

OK… trial and error… its collected_APP_id. There was no hint in the editor for that.

Think you have it sorted but:

On the current record:

console.info('Record ID', current_record_id);
console.info('App Record ID', tip_app_record_id); //Unique ID

On a collection

console.info('App record ID', collected_tip_app_record_id); //unique ID (a single record from the collection)
console.info('Record ID', collected_tip_id); 

// An array of all the collected Record ID's
console.info(JSON.stringify(jsonata('record_id',).evaluate(record_collection_tips)));
1 Like