[DONE] Google Translate clears the multi line text fields

When you use Google Translate and you open an item, the multi line text fields is cleared. You are also unable to type anything in the multi line text field: every character you type, disappears.
So if you need to store, first disable Google Translate, add the text to the field and leave the item edit.

A screencast example:
https://watch.screencastify.com/v/DOzUutDZ1ff5oKiRgYd3
As soon as you switch the language, the field is empty.

1 Like

Hi @knobel,

thank you for this detailed report. Will attempt to reproduce this issue and keep you posted here. :eyes:

Cheers
Tim

Hi @knobel,

I was able to reproduce the issue using your detailed report. We deployed a fix, and the text field should now behave properly even when the page is translated. I just tested and it seems to work fine.

Could you confirm this issue is resolved?

Thank you!

Cheers
Tim

Hmm. @Tim Yes: the field is not cleared but also text is no longer translated. So entered text is blocked in some way. I do not know if it is possible to use translate on all text without clearing the field On a single line it worked well before.

1 Like

@knobel unfortunately, translating the content of the rich text editor is not really feasible and would yield strange results. Think about the underlying data - which would still be in the original language.

What you could do, is to have a calculation field that mirrors the content of your multi text field. That one would be translated without issues - I just tested that.

Let me know if that works!

Cheers
Tim

The summary is made but the subtasks are not correct

you can try

@ChecklistField.map(function(obj) {return obj.title}).join().

Or

JSON.stringify(@ChecklistField)

Most likely there is something better with ES2021, but this is from Podio

4 Likes

Glad to hear this worked in the end, and also thanks to @shir for providing this useful insight into working with the checklist field values (objects) in JS.

@bruno.freitas, @HugoSoares - this fix could also be interesting for you, as I remember you reported that the browser translation would clear the multi text field values in the past. :tada:

Cheers
Tim

1 Like