[DONE] Why are automations being cancelled?

I’m working on an automation that should take a multi line text field with variables, then replace certain variables with values from the item in Tape and (for now) just want it to make a comment showing the replaced text as a ‘fixed’ outcome.

For some reason the flow seems to cancel when running fairly often (but not always)

I can’t figure out why or what causes this flow to cancel so often but succeed on occasion. Any tips here?

The error message is stating

[15:45:43.453] Action execution started.
[15:45:43.518] Action execution cancelled due to run cancellation.

But I have not told the run to cancel.

Hi @CarsonRedCliffLabs,

thanks for reporting this interesting issue. The only valid reason why runs may be cancelled - without you cancelling them - is resouces. Does your flow load a big file or any large data sets in Tape or via external APIs? We saw this behavior recently with resource consuming flows.

I once again deployed a fix to make this more robust. Could you recheck your flow, and reach out directly to me if the issue still persists? We can then look into it in detail together.

Cheers & thank you
Tim

Thanks Tim - this issues appears to be resolved, I’ve had no further problems since your message

1 Like

The same thing is happening to me. I was testing my workflow but out of a sudden it started to cancel the runs (and I’m not cancelling them)…

2 Likes

@agnes.farias indeed showing those workflow executions as “Cancelled” was a mistake on our side - these are failed executions. Just like for @CarsonRedCliffLabs in the past, this obviously leads to confusion which is comprehensible.

Thereby, we improved the logic to be more explicit and robust, in order to ensure that flows are only ever shown as “Cancelled” if users actually cancel them. The update is already live and should prevent such false positives in the future.

Still, you will need to dive into your flow, and check for large collections / search actions in heavy apps, and reduce the data that you load and process. This way, you ensure that your flows always execute properly. Also check the limitations page.

Cheers
Tim

3 Likes