Error Adding Time Values Inconsistently via a calculated variable

We have a frustrating error where an automation is finding certain time-log records and supposed to add up the decimal value of the collected time logs. Adding it up via the automation provides incorrect values.
It will however give the right answer when the ‘loop’ action adds the decimal values into our number field directly, but not when we try adding them all in a workflow variable then just updating the final number field once with the sum.

This screenshot shows that it’s getting the values and listing them correctly in our check comment:

In my test I can add all those values to get the correct result of 11, but the value entered in hour number field is showing 45 for some reason.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Here’s a short video example of the issue: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

Hi @CarsonRedCliffLabs

I think this has something to do with the way the calculation field handles using its output variable in the calculation so as an example, this should work:

were as this doesn’t:

I would need someone better than me to say if this is as intended or not but hopefully that can help either way

2 Likes

Thank you @Jason that was very helpful. Your approach did indeed work for me.

I am still very curious though if @Tim might have further insight on the reason that the calculation field output is not accurate.
In other systems like Globiflow/Podio Workflow Automation we would successfully use Calculation variables in this exact way many times and I can’t think of a strong reason why it should work any different here in Tape…?

2 Likes

Thanks for reaching out @CarsonRedCliffLabs. As always, you’re spot on.

This is not the desired behavior. We will look into this and report here once a fix is available. :eyes:

1 Like