Modify padding on tasks?

I would love for you to consider adding some padding between the “check box” and “icon?” on the left of the task title/wording.

Use case: We have all of our tasks starting with colored emoji so we can navigate longer lists easily by having a visual cue. Having them directly next to the “check box” and “icon?” makes sorting them visually harder.

Looking forward to your thoughts or feedback.

Also, I wanted to “shoot for the stars” while I’m here. I would love have the ability to add, for a lack of definition, “colored emojis” from a dropdown in the front of tasks and “check lists” when creating them. Like so:

Hi @1F2Ns

really good insights, the focus will get its own page later this year, if we optimize it in this step we can increase the spacing between the infos in general since we have more space available than currently.

Maybe an idea that can also temporarily solve your point with the emoji dropdown would be to build an automation for it.
We have invested a lot of time in automating checklist entries because they are used very intesively by our customers.
So it would be possible to search for keywords in the checklist entries and add the matching emojis with some space in front of them automatically. It would also be possible to react to the completion of certain checklist entries or, depending on the status of the record, to automatically create certain checklist entries that you can maintain in another app as records and fetch the automation yourself with the search action. I have already implemented such automations for customers so if you need examples I can support you anytime.

As a simple example that would certainly need to be improved:

Cheers
Leo

Thank you for the insight Sir.

You have my brain working on potential setups and that is exciting for me. I love problem solving.

I have multiple people who are in charge of completing a task (whoever can get to it first). How would you suggest assigning them tasks?

If [x] assign a task to [person1] + [person2]
on task complete: delete/complete everyone’s tasks?

Can I use the task text as a search to delete/remove/complete other tasks for different people?

• “My awesome task title” == completed
  • search all tasks on item and complete all matching “My awesome task title”

I hope I’m making sense.

1 Like

@1F2Ns, just to understand your use case in detail. I assume that the subtask titles you assign to multiple people are dynamic and not limited to certain titles, right?

We could currently solve it dynamically with a little JavaScript, but our goal is always to be able to solve it without code. For this we would have to provide the variable “changed checklist item title” then it would be very easy to solve your case and you could check out all checklist items that have the same title as the one just set to completed. Is this use case important for you? Then we would integrate the variable for you?

One more question, the problem currently exists if I understand it correctly only because a subtask can only have one assignee at a time. That’s why multiple copies are needed to assign different people at the same time.

Have you seen that you can show even records like checklist items in the focus? If you have added a status field to an app and activate “Show in focus” in the member field.
Here you have the possibility to add as many people as you want in the member field, the task then appears for each person in the focus inbox and disappears for all assigned people when one sets the status to completed.
Here is the help center article about the status field: Status field | Tape Help Center

You can even track how many tasks are completed with a split by customer or project and a progress bar.

Maybe this is an option to handle your use case even easier.

We could currently solve it dynamically with a little JavaScript, but our goal is always to be able to solve it without code. For this we would have to provide the variable “changed checklist item title” then it would be very easy to solve your case and you could check out all checklist items that have the same title as the one just set to completed. Is this use case important for you? Then we would integrate the variable for you?

They are dynamic so this would be beneficial for this use case.

One more question, the problem currently exists if I understand it correctly only because a subtask can only have one assignee at a time. That’s why multiple copies are needed to assign different people at the same time.

Yes, this is correct. It’s a workaround of sorts.

Have you seen that you can show even records like checklist items in the focus? If you have added a status field to an app and activate “Show in focus” in the member field.

I had not seen this

Here you have the possibility to add as many people as you want in the member field, the task then appears for each person in the focus inbox and disappears for all assigned people when one sets the status to completed.
Here is the help center article about the status field

This should accomplish exactly what I need.
Just to clarify, I can hide the member field and add predefined people to every item on create?

You can even track how many tasks are completed with a split by customer or project and a progress bar.

Interesting. Do you have an example of what this looks like?

What am I missing?

Just to clarify, I can hide the member field and add predefined people to every item on create?

You can set the member field with the normal field settings to hidden if empty or always hidden.
Prefilled people can be set via the record templates, via duplication of existing records, via the automations or via set filters in a view (if in a view the filter is set to “is exactly” on certain people we also fill these people as default on creation from that view).
Through the status field we can track if a whole record is “completed” or “incompleted”. If it is completed - it disappears in the focus.

What am I missing?

In your example you have set the split by option to the status field and for your use case you would probably have to select the relation field to your customer or project and then activate the progress bars in the tab below.

And here in the status field you can set at which status a record is completed.