đź’™ Use template when creating new related item

I’m going to try my best to describe this for you.
Loving the item “template” feature.
I noticed that when creating a new item from “related” I cannot select a template.
Any chance for adding a button?

Use case:

1. I have a “line items” app and want to use the templates for each item (eg. red thing, blue thing).
  2. When adding “line items” to an “estimate” we create new from related.
  3. Adding this feature would allow us to select a predefined “template” and eliminate 25-40% of the time needed to create an estimate by my team.

Happy to share more details, if needed.
-JH

Hi @1F2Ns,

thanks a lot for the great feedback! I completely understood your problem and your use case is extremely valuable.

I’ll take the idea to our product meeting to estimate the effort to roll out the functionality for the current record or to include it in the developement of the new record we’re going to after the permission system.
It is also related to the improvement of the templates with a default logic and a separate template title (currently problematic if the first field is not a text field).

I will write you as soon as I have the necessary input from the development guys to make an accurate evaluation.

Cheers
Leo

1 Like

@Leo I love you for it. This will potentially change the way we do business on multiple levels.

I truly appreciate you keeping me in the loop.
I will hold on that part of my structure dev because I don’t want to waste resources moving in one direction only to pivot and adapt to a potential new way.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

2 Likes

@1F2Ns very good news! We are developing in this sprint a complete template upgrade, so that you can implement your use case perfectly with Tape!
The upgrade includes: Selecting any template on creation from “related”.
Define default templates that can be used as default on creation when clicking the normal create button and dedicated naming of templates so that the first field can also be set in the template.

I will write you here when we have released the upgrade! :gift:

1 Like

Hi @1F2Ns

we have implemented your feedback and recently released an update - after a refresh it will be available for you.
Now you can select any template on creation from “related”, define default templates that can be used as default on creation when clicking the normal create button and dedicated naming of templates so that the first field can also be set in the template. Hope it helps you and your team to work even more efficiently with Tape.

Cheers,
Leo

Learn more about how to use record templates →

3 Likes