[UPDATE 🌟] Record templates · default values for all fields

230219_DefaultValues-Community_StEs

This valuable feature was inspired by Tape´s community:
:point_right: [RELEASED] Default values for fields - especially for required fields?
:point_right: [RELEASED] Use template when creating new related item

Thank you! :blue_heart: Countless times a day we use default values for our own work.

We have updated all the new functionality in the help center article.
· Use a template when creating a new related record
· Rename a record template
· Set as default

Check out more about Record templates | Tape Help Center

1 Like

This is a BIG deal!
I’m excited

2 Likes

Hi,
we have a projects app and specification app. Would like to use automation in projects:
when record in projects has a category “x” trigger in specification app template “x”.
The same for all other templates based on category?
I know how to create new records, but it would be great if we can just select template in automation.

1 Like

Hi @tomaz,

thanks for the idea! Just to understand in detail, you would like to select record templates in the update record action and maybe also in the create record action in the automations.
Or would you like to have a specific template selected in the record creation process when it is not yet saved by selecting a category?

Cheers
Leo

@Leo ideally I would like to choose on creation or later in update, when single selection field is x category trigger x template. Same for y,z,… template.
Hope this makes sense for you.

2 Likes

@tomaz that makes total sense! During creation, we currently can’t use the automations like GlobiFlow because there is no stored data set yet that the automations can access. But in the medium term we will release front-end automations and optimize the creation process so that this also works.

For the record create action there is by the way recently already a feature request. So we would only have to extend it to update.

Cheers
Leo

@Leo so for starters will workaround work:
Create new record in related, update current record with newly created and then make if statment to find the selected template. All of that in one automation? Since record in related is stored we could select template right?

1 Like

@tomaz I would not have thought of that myself, but yes you are right! If you relate a template to a record then you can access the template values via this record with the get related via incoming. And if you have multiple templates in your collection you can use filter collected to select the one you need.

@Leo but it would still be more useful if we can select template directly in automatoin instead of picking every field separately.
So selecting template in automation would be much easier.

1 Like

@tomaz yes definitely, if you have to assign all fields individually it is only a small advantage instead of directly copy pasting the values of the template.

1 Like